Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pine Wood Derby Time!

We experienced our first pine wood derby this last week. Joe and Jace spent a lot of the weekend working on Jace's car. Jace spent hours sanding and looking through pictures online of what shape he wanted his car to be. When we went into the church gym on pack night the whole track set up seemed a lot more official then I remembered it being with my three brothers. As I watched all the other scouts bring in there cars I was pretty impressed and a little nervous for Jace. Sure enough our car was not the fastest. At one point after Jace had come in dead last for his first 4 races, I told him to try racing backwards, just for fun. On his next race he raced backwards and won first! His face at the finish line was total shock and delight. From then on he raced backwards....and naturally he didn't win any more. I was a little worried thinking he was going to be embarrassed or feel bad, but he left with a big smile and said he had a lot of ideas for next year. He and Hyrum will both be in the pine wood derby next year and they are excited to build cars and race together. I sure am proud of this Kid!